HOME Museum Moderner Kunst Kärnten






History of the building
 

The Carinthian Museum of Modern Art is housed in the "castle" in the centre of Klagenfurt. It was built in 1586 as a "Collegium sapientiae et pietatis", a school for the Protestant aristocracy. From 1601, it was used as the official residence of the Carinthian Estates.
After damage by fire in 1636 and 1723, the castle was rebuilt. The chapel was added in 1733/34, with baroque decoration by Josef Ferdinand Fromiller (1693-1760), and in 1773 a second storey was added. From 1771, the castle was the seat of the Provincial Governor, and provided accommodation for the sovereign (or emperor). Between 1872 and 1928, the south wing once again housed schools.
Burghof bei Nacht


In 1933, the building was given a new function, with the founding of the Carinthian Landesgalerie; however, this was closed in 1938, following the Anschluss. In 1946, after the War, the Carinthian Landesmuseum was charged with the administration of the art collections, and not until 1965 was the Landesgalerie re-opened in ten newly-adapted rooms of the castle.

Ausstellungsraum MMKK mit Arbeiten von Bruno Gironcoli



After extensive reconstruction according to plans by the architects Helmut Dominikus and Ralf Mikula, and comprehensive renovation of the castle (2001-2003), the Carinthian Museum of Modern Art was opened in spring 2003, in the extended premises of the Landesgalerie.
Ausstellungsraum MMKK mit Arbeiten von Peter Kogler

Museum Moderner Kunst Kärnten  •  Burggasse 8  •  9021 Klagenfurt a.W., Austria  •  ++43(0)50.536.16252  •  office.museum@ktn.gv.at